- May 25, 1787 (233 years ago)
- •Delegates convene a Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia to write a new Constitution for the United States. George Washington presides.
- May 25, 1953 (67 years ago)
- •The first public television station in the United States officially begins broadcasting as KUHT from the campus of the University of Houston.
- May 25, 1961 (59 years ago)
- •U.S. President John F. Kennedy announces before a special joint session of Congress his goal to initiate a project to put a "man on the moon" before the end of the decade.
- May 25, 1977 (43 years ago)
- •Star Wars is released. It rapidly becomes a cult classic and is the start of a six-movie franchise.