- March 28, 1802 (218 years ago)
- •Heinrich Wilhelm Matthäus Olbers discovers 2 Pallas, the second asteroid known to man.
- March 28, 1930 (90 years ago)
- •Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and Ankara.
- March 28, 1979 (41 years ago)
- •Operators at Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant in Pennsuylanis fail to recognize that a relief valve is stuck open in the primary coolant system of Unit 2 following an unexpected shutdown. As a result, enough coolant drains out of the system to allow the core to overheat and partially melt down.