- February 22, 1889 (130 years ago)
- •1889 – President Grover Cleveland signs a bill admitting North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Washington as U.S. states.
- February 22, 1924 (95 years ago)
- •U.S. President Calvin Coolidge becomes the first President to deliver a radio broadcast from the White House.
- February 22, 1959 (60 years ago)
- •Lee Petty wins the first Daytona 500.
- February 22, 1980 (39 years ago)
- •In Lake Placid, New York, the United States hockey team defeats the Soviet Union hockey team 4-3, in what is considered to be one of the greatest upsets in sports history.
- February 22, 1995 (24 years ago)
- •The Corona reconnaissance satellite program, in existence from 1959 to 1972, is declassified.