- What is the source of your data?
- Unlike Governor Whitmer (D-Michigan), I gladly share the source of my data: the State of Michigan's
page. On that page, there is link called Cases by County by Date that is updated daily. It is a
spreadsheet showing day by day numbers for each of Michigan's 83 counties from March 1, 2020 to present.
- That must be alot of work, going through 150+ days (and growing) worth of each data'for each county.
- Not at all. It takes me less than 10 minutes each day to update the site with the latest data. The process
involves copying and pasting the spreadsheet into a password protected page on this site. Once I click Submit,
an automation script takes over and updates the database.
- Why do the daily numbers not match what the 6 o'clock news reports?
- When the news reports "new cases", they are using the mathematical difference in the state's daily
reports which are issued at 3pm each day. My daily total will match for the most recent day I have on file. However,
the State of Michigan backdates the onset dates for some cases. Why they do this I do not know. By screenshooting the
daily numbers over the course of a week, I have discovered case counts being manipulated as much as five weeks
later. Cases may be getting added to dates further back but my computer screen is only so tall. In late July 2020,
I added a section that compares what the media reported for new cases on a given day
to what the most recent spreadsheet has for that date.
- Are you a health care or IT professional?
- Neither. While I do have a degree in Information Systems from Grand Valley State University, I am not actively
working in the field. I used to work in website design but was laid off in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.
Unable to find another job in the Information Technology Field, I returned to my &qupt;get me through college"
job of retail- where I remained for over a decade. I now work in a factory. Computers now are like there were in
my childhood-a hobby.
- Can I use your maps/graphs?
- Yes but do not remove the watermark text containing this site's web address.